Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Close Up with New Zealand Artist- Nick Fedaeff


Artist- Nick Fedaeff

Tell us a little about yourself and what you do.
My name is Nick Fedaeff and I am a full time artist. For a period of time I was a musician/performer but now playing music is something I do for fun when I have the time. I am now a full-time artist and creating art.

Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?
Nobody really inspires me, I remember myself as a child always drawing and painting. I never dreamed that a fun hobby would turn in to a profession, it’s the perfect job!

Where do you get your inspiration from when you design/paint?
I wake up every morning with a good mood. The feeling of the morning gives me some positive energy and inspiration to paint. My dreams also add a feeling to my paintings; I must say I have very peculiar dreams and they seem to come alive on my canvas.

The Fedaeff Family




What are the five words that people who know you would use to describe you?
Arty, Funny, Mad Russian, Loud and Strange Beard!

Tell us about your very first job and what path have you taken since then?
My first job was being a security guard in a women’s health clinic when I was 19. My previous jobs were creative, like being musician and touring with my band, working with theatres, or creating jingles and radio commercials. I was also a multimedia tutor and a creative director for a marketing company but I began to get bored of looking at a computer all day so now I have a “dirty” job – a full-time artist!

Describe a typical day in your studio space?
I come in early after dropping off my younger daughter at school. My studio is about 15 minutes from my house and is quite private. I normally start just looking around, not really doing anything, but after a couple of minutes I get to work. I have about 10 paintings that are in the making at a time so I decide on which one I want to work on, or if I should start to paint a completely new one. If I have lots of inspiration I finish at 3 in the afternoon. If I have no energy, I finish around midday. Painting in the evening or late afternoon isn’t really my thing.


 Nick's Studio

As an Artist, what is your biggest frustration?
A big global disaster! If there will be one everyone will be interested in food and survival, and not artwork!

Tell us about how you prioritise your studio work.
I have deadlines, this is what drives me as an artist to finish my work. Every year, I do about 3 major art shows (Art Sydney, Art Melbourne and The New Zealand Art Show). I also have exhibitions overseas and sometimes I even do solo exhibitions!

Since you are working at home, can you please tell us about how do you connect with other artists, and your customers (i.e. how do you network)?
I have a wide client base now as I’ve been on the art scene for a few years now, also, as I mentioned before I participate in big shows where thousands of customers come to look at my work. I have no problem finding clients as there are always new people who are interested. The only problem is that they do not always agree with my prices!



WHERE IS OUR CHILDHOOD GONE....
760x760 mm

mixed media on stretched canvas
Nick Fedaeff Copyright
What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?
Practice a lot! Copying your favourite artist is the key to success. After this, you can think about your own ideas and what you can do with them. Skills are the first thing you have to know before you start to be an aspiring creative person.

What dreams do you still want to achieve or fulfil in your life?
I want to create a lasting impression of my art for my children and grandchildren to look at and remember me.

What is your proudest moment so far?
I think my proudest moment is still on the way, I do not think I have fulfilled it yet. 

Passingby
Nick Fedaeff Copyright

Who do you most want to meet and why?
I always want to meet new and interesting people. Creative people- musicians, artists, dancers, have a similar way of looking at the world and I really connect with them.

What is the most important lesson in life that you have learned?
Don’t borrow money!

What book are you reading right now, and do you have a book you would like to recommend?
I am currently reading a Russian book, Pharmacist by V.Orlov. I recommend it if you can read Russian.

Where do we find you and your products? (list stores & links, websites )
The best option is to go to my website (www.nickfed.com) and look at my gallery list and upcoming events. Other than that I will be at the Sydney Art Show from 11-14th November. My stand is S8, come and check it out if you live nearby!

SUMMER TIME
1000 x1000 mm

mixed media on stretched canvas
Nick Fedaeff Copyright

Nick Fedaeff - EXHIBITIONS

Upcoming:

 
SOLO EXHIBITION - NEW PAINTINGS
Remuera Gallery , Remuera, Auckland , New Zealand
12 August - 2 September , opening 12 September, 5.30 PM

AGS ART EXHIBITION
Auckland Grammar School , Epsom, Auckland, New Zealand
3 - 5 September


SOLO EXHIBITION - PAINTINGS AND DRAWINGS
Platform Sarai, Frankfurt, Germany
18 August, 8 pm - opening

KINGS COLLEGE ART EXHIBITION
Kings College , Auckland , New Zealand 


1-4 November

ART FAIR SYDNEY 2010
Royal Hall of Industries, Moore Park, Sydney, Australia
stand - S8
11 - 14 November

Galleries that have some of Nick's paintings:

New Zealand:
Remuera Gallery
360 Remuera Rd, Auckland

Monterey Gallery

5 Cook St, Howick, Auckland

Monmo Gallery
350 Hibiscus Coast Highway, Orewa

Parnell Gallery
263 Parnell Rd, Auckland

Harrisons Art Gallery
427 Port Rd, Whangamata

Garden Art Studio
1242 Kaipaki Rd, Cambridge

The Artists Room
Level 1, 2 Dowling St, Dunedin


Australia:
Brunswick Street Gallery
322 Brunswick St, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia


Europe:
KUNSTSUPERMARKT GERMANY
Berlin, Frankfurt, Marburg,

KUNSTSUPERMARKT AUSTRIA
Vienna

KUNSTSUPERMARKT SWITZERLAND
Geneva
 


No comments:

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails