This post is for both new and existing Artists, Designers & Crafters to focus on how to create a successful Lifestyle Business.
- Build a good foundation
- What do you want from your Art and design
- What are your skills, craftsmanship and creativity?
- Do you have a product?
- Do you have an idea for developing one?
- What to make and when and how to make it.
- Where to live.
- Work from home or away
- Can you do the work yourself or do you need to hire someone to do it?
- Will you be a wholesaler or retailer?
- Will you make one-of-a kind pieces for galleries? Or production work?
- Will you prepare to licence your work or designs
- Your Business Structure
- Who are the key people you depend on (Your Key Stakeholders)
- Employees (staff)
- Owner (Business partner or shareholders)
- Goal Setting
Identify your long, medium & short term goals.
- LTG: are those that you just have no idea how to accomplish them. They may be a challenge or they may just scare you.
- STG: are those you can visualise reaching in the day, week or month.
- MTG: are those that fall in the middle.
- Your Personal Goal:
- BODY: Goals relate to physical objectives i.e. losing weight or going to the gym more often.
- Mind: Goals that require a mental reorientation i.e. becoming more positive in your thinking or learning a new skill or career.
- Spirit: Goals that are more metaphysical in nature i.e. meditation or visualization.
- Your Business Goal:
- Business & Strategy Planning
- Write down when, in the course of a week, a month or a year, you get time to reflect on:
- The direction your business is heading
- Your Quirkiness , your uniqueness, your design signature
- The palettes of your competitive edge.
- Personal & Business Development
- Be a student of personal development. Read business and self development books and learn new skills and gain new knowledge to develop yourself.
- Product and Market research. Search on the internet, visit trade shows, craft markets and go window shopping for ideas
- Income Producing Activities
o Be consistent and persistent with your income producing activities!
o Every day that you work on your business, be disciplined about your day.
o Plan your daily and weekly activities
o Use ArtSHINE’s “Weekly Activity Planner”
o Produce and update your “Style Guide” folders regularly.
o Work on your Business. Be the leader of your field and “Build a name for yourself”
o Market your work to generate sell opportunity
o Post your Blogs
o Media release
o Call your potential customers immediately
o Invite prospective buyers to your studio/Gallery
o Visit clients
o Do follow up calls
- Networking and Masterminding with Leaders
o Learn from the best! Connect with a network of a strong mind set. Speak to you your business coach /Mentor on at least a monthly basis.
o Participate on workshops and attend seminars.
o Do what the top artists and designers do, emulate their successes and you will have what they have.
o Look for ways to contribute to the Art & Designs community.
o Work for a Charity or form your own foundation and give back to community.