Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Close Up with Artist Jaqui Doran From Byron Bay



Tell us a little about you self and what you do.
I was born in London and came to Australia as a backpacker in 1993 and met my partner at the same time in Byron Bay. I studied fine art at Sunderland University England and have been painting ever since; exhibiting in the Northern Rivers and Queensland mostly. In 2004 my partner & I opened an art supply shop in Byron and I have been continuing to show my work 

Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?
There are many things that inspire me to be creative – my original love came from looking at the master ‘s in London – I would spend weekend after weekend scouring through galleries. When I moved to Byron Bay these galleries did not exist so I became very influenced by the light and landscape – now I am primarily inspired by my two boys and the stages they are passing though – it has opened a whole new chapter . Above all I think about painting everyday – even if I’m not doing it!.

 Family Time

Where do you get your inspiration from when you design/paint?
Over the past few years I feel my paintings have been taking on a new direction – Watching a child grow has definitely had an influence – currently I find my self involved in their innocent world but with the knowledge that life is not all that it seems. I guess this is what I am working on at present – using animals as characters - artwork that appears innocent – but somehow could be something else.

 Dog Day

I also have a love of dogs – the purest soul – they inspire me constantly – I lost my dog last year and was heartbroken. There is nothing like the companionship that these animals give you and that is why I paint them. Love the tough looking ones!

I am also an avid movie watcher.
 
What are the five words that people who know you would use to describe you?
Funny, moody, excitable, creative, talkative


Tell us about your very first job and what path have you taken since then?
My first job was when I was 15 years old and I worked in a curtain and blind shop in London - I was asked to paint many blinds and tiles with high heels and flowers for trade shows. I have always created something from Christmas decoration as a child to now owning an art shop and being a painter

Describe a typical day in your studio space?
Quickly clean the brushes and off we go – I usually have selected information from differing sources spread around and then I pretty much start on the canvas straight away – under painting – drawing with paint or ink – I move around the canvas at a fairly fast and consuming momentum. Then leave brushes until the next time.

 Studio

You also have a gallery and a stretch canvas business with your husband Rene describe some of your challenges  being together as a couple and as  business partners?
Rene and I have worked together now as partners for over 10 years – it has its rewards and its restraints. The positive part of this relationship is that we work together for a common goal and the business has expanded to incorporate Stretch Canvas Co. The difficulties however are that the business is such a big part of your life that at times you take it home with you.


As a Solo Artist, what is your biggest frustration?
I guess my biggest frustration is having limited time - as I would like to accomplish so many things– but one step at a time is not so bad!

 Chancy

Tell us about how you prioritise your studio work.
Ideas – drawings – now even on my iPhone and then painting

Since you are working at home, can you please tell us about how do you connect with other artists, and your customers (i.e. how do you network)?
I have a group of artist friends that I see quite often and we discuss our goals and dreams as well as what is happening in the art world. I also meet a lot of artists’ though the art shop and learn about their lives. The Internet is also helpful.

 I'm Ready!

What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?
Always believe in yourself – even if at times you feel insecure or let down. Never lose sight of what you want to achieve and where you want to be. Life is full of little steps that go up and down. Always have self worth and stay humble. Oh yes -and a back up plan is a good idea!

What dreams do you still want to achieve or fulfill in your life?
I really want to paint some large works and to exhibit in many other countries and of course have fun with my children and partner. Would love to do more traveling. 


What is your proudest moment so far?
Well you can’t go by having children – even if they do mess up the house

Who do you most want to meet and why?
I would probably like to meet Leonardo DiCaprio or Sam Worthington – they appear to have attained a level of dignity and humbleness with their success. I love movies!

What is the most important lesson in life that you have learned?
Be true, be respectful, be happy and don’t tell everybody everything


What book are you reading right now, and do you have a book you would like to recommend?
I would read a book a week before the birth of Mali – but now I have to say only art magazines are being read. Not a bad thing as it keeps me in touch with what’s happening

Where do we find you and your products?


Do you have a special offer for ArtSHINE readers?
Yes – 25% off all limited edition prints –contact Jacqui on jacquidoran@yahoo.com.au for prices and sizes


No comments:

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails