Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bohemianism! -by Marie-Nicole





As artists and designers it is usually our willingness to embrace our individuality that makes us stand out in a crowd. But before we get to a point where we are truly comfortable with who we are as individuals we have to wade our way through the early stages of life trying to find ourselves, understand ourselves and learn to be ourselves. This can be difficult when the mainstream is telling us that to be considered ‘normal’ you must follow a set criteria through life, do certain things in a particular time frame, have certain material possessions, work in particular types of jobs etc. How can we be considered ‘normal’ when we waltz to a different tune to those around us, find ourselves spending our spare time creating with our hands rather than being entertained by a screen?

My personal experience with this is that there is no such thing as ‘normal.’ Everyone is individual but most people in our lives flow through life in the same current, ticking boxes as they go along to ensure they meet the expected criteria. Those of us on the edge of the current take a slightly more turbulent journey, testing our boundaries, exploring opportunities, trying, failing and succeeding all at the same time.

Throughout my life I have often been referred to as bohemian and although at first I was not sure I really liked being referred to in this way. As time has passed and I have become more aware of who I am and the value I give to society, I see it as a compliment. I still receive sideways looks from some mainstreamers when I tell them what I am working on, particularly with projects where I take items that they would consider to be rubbish and turn them into a functional statement piece. I know that they don’t get it… but that’s okay. One day they might! Eventually the mainstreams catches up with innovators and embraces what was once a ‘new idea’ meanwhile the innovators move onto the next stage in their development working on the next idea!

If bohemianism is about engaging in unconventional practices and those unconventional practices encourage innovation which then set a new direction for the mainstream, then I see a need for bohemians. If there were no innovators in society then who would challenge thinking and set new directions for the mainstream?

Next time you feel out of sync with the mainstreamers who surround you, stop to think about what you are doing and the fact that one day it could very well be considered mainstream!

by marie-nicole

Ps. Indulging in self-doubt can hold you back from expanding on your unconventional ideas, on the other hand though, arrogance can get in the way of self-improvement… there’s always room for improvement.

If you’d like to connect with other bohemians come on down to the Old Bus Depot Markets, Sunday July 8, 10am-4pm you’ll see me and my unconventional market stall there… along with many other bohemians who will be there to share their passion.



No comments:

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails