Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Close Up Interview With Designer & Artist- Anthony Van Lam



Designer & Artist- Anthony Van Lam

Tell us a little about yourself and what you do.
I am a Fashion designer and Artist. Currently I design Bridal, ballroom and Latin dance wear! 

Villy's Wedding
 
Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?
Everything inspires me at the moment, I try to extract everything I see or feel! I think i'ts good to be humble and take as much in as possible,good and bad as the outcome is always slightly twisted. I have a lot of inspirations  like my family and friends, designers  like Vivienne Westwood ,Chanel, Christian Dior, Gaultier, Mcqueen, Comme des Garcons, theres are so many! I absolutely love Erte, Norman Lindsay  and currently really inspired by beautiful Sarah Joncas  to Frederic Taubes.

 Current Artworks

Where do you get your inspiration from when you design/paint?
Actually when I design or paint I  really use my creative sources  in my head. Then pen to paper and scribble away. That’s mainly what I do when I paint, I just scribble with my papermate black pen and visualise what I can see from the random pen strokes!  I love sketching flowers, faces and human poses! So with that I let my imagination run a little wild.  

What are the five words that people who know you would use to describe you?
Funny, Artistic , captivating , sensitive, creative and Bitchy lol!

 Inspirational Board

Tell us about your  current project  you are doing right now ?
Im working on 15 paintings at the moment ! I like to hav these paintings  around me and  to work on them as I see it! I'm  just finished a wedding dress and  due to start an evening dress. I'm also designing a 2011 dance wear range at the moment.


Describe a typical day in your studio space?
Typical day from 9-5  I have my design job. Designing ballroom and latin  dancewear! I design, patternmaking and cut . I love seeing my customer  and to design and illustrate for them so they can visualise what they want! I m working on a dance range and photo shoot at the moment also!  From 7-12.30 I would sketch on to paper or canvas and let my imagination go and at the same time I look at my other work and see what I can improve on them.

What is your biggest frustration as a designer & an artist? 
 The most annoying part is people who doesnt understand your work but they pretend they do! But when they asked for your advise and  they  are not listening to your advise!  But the most common frustrations would be time, there is never enough of it!

 Art & Design Studio

Tell us about how you prioritise your studio work.
At the moment I"m quite focused and separate my work and painting time ! I like to work like most watercolour artists is to work on a few  paintings a time and therefore you  meet your own deadline.

Can you please tell us about how do you connect with other artists, and your customers (i.e. how do you network)?  
 I do use the internet to do research and connecting with people  and go to art shows , seminars, designer markets and exihibitions 

              
 
What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?  
 Believe in yourself, life is too short to be hold down by negative people!  Your  talent is yours to share with others!

What dreams do you still want to achieve or fulfil in your life?
I still want to be able to travel and paint and be able to make a great living as an artist and designer!


What is your proudest moment so far?
My proudest moment so far is  this year I have lots of help from great people. I am more intune with myself and  I'm confident , Im  focused, I will create more artworks and designs because I love what I do!

 Who do you most want to meet and why?
 I like to meet so many people! But reality is everyone you meet now can one day be your inspiration or inspired by you! 


What is the most important lesson in life that you have learned? 
This might sound like everyone’s answer but “Life is Short” Enjoy the most of it!

What book are you reading right now, and do you have a book you would like to recommend? 
Oh yes I was away for the weekend in the Blue mountains Katoomba. I met a wonderful  author who shared  great stories about vintage fashion and Agatha christies. Anyway, Her name is Charlotte Smith. She has written two books called "Dreaming of Chanel !" and "Dreaming of Dior" Beautiful book and beautiful illustrations!  


Where do we find you  & your services? 
  My email is Anthonyvanlam@gmail and my blog!  





No comments:

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails