Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Close up with Graphic Designer Kim Ho

Kim Ho

Tell us a little about yourself and what you do.
I'm a shoe and food obsessed art director/senior graphic designer at a small boutique design agency in downtown Toronto, Canada.
 
Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?
The world inspires me!

Where do you get your inspiration from when you  design?
When I'm designing, other designers inspire me. I always surf around on my bookmarked list of favourite designers before I start my creative process


Doo Bags Logo
What are the five words that people who know you would use to describe you?
Fast. Stubborn. Straight-forward. Clumsy. Efficient.
 
Tell us about your very first job and what path have you taken since then?

Very first job ever? Retail. Had to start somewhere and since I love clothes/shoes - it was a great way to earn money while in both high school and university. Eventually I found my calling in the graphic design industry and since then have never looked back.
 
Describe a typical day in your creative business?

Walk to the office, make breakfast. Eat breakfast while going through emails. Answer emails, continue or start on new projects. Meet with team about the week's progress. Lunch. Coffee. Continue on more projects or start new projects. Chat. Answer emails. Walk home :)





Kim & Friends
 
As an Artist, what is your biggest frustration?

Creativity. It's hard sometimes to always be on the ball creative-wise.

Tell us about how you prioritise your work studio.
Lucky for me, I'm pretty good at managing my time and prioritizing projects. Meetings are great when you are managing a team to ensure you know what is going on and they know where everyone else stands. Plus, I hate missing deadlines!


 Design Studio

Can you please tell us about how do you connect with other artists, and your audiences (i.e. how do you network)?
People from work. Friends who are in the same industry but in different fields. Old friends from school. When you love what you do, you love to discuss it with others.

What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?
It's never easy. It's always hard work but if you love what you do that hard work becomes fun - most of the time!

What dreams do you still want to achieve or fulfil in your life?
Travel. I want to see everything, everywhere.


Kim & Rob

What is your proudest moment so far?
Lol. Buying my downtown condo! It really made me feel like I've grown up.
 
Who do you most want to meet and why?
Jessica Hische - Some of the most beautiful and famous illustrative, typographic work I've seen. Max Azria (BCBG, Hervé Leger) - I'm a huge fan. His ability to create desirable women's clothing always keeps me coming back for more. Masaharu Morimoto - An Iron Chef with the creativity of an artist. Alexander Skarsgard - Just because he is wonderful to look at ;)
 
What is the most important lesson in life that you have learned?

Laugh! At everything, with anyone and all the time. If you take life too seriously, you miss out on enjoying it.


Carte Blanche Creative Inc. Promotional Holiday Fabric Wrap 2010
Carte Blanche Creative, Inc., Design, Art Direction

What book are you reading right now, and do you have a book you would like to recommend?
Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert is what is currently on my bedside table. I could seriously recommend a library - I absolutely love books.
 
Where do we find you and your  service?
(
Well, you can find me in Toronto, Canada :) But my work is readily available at  


www.iamagraphicdesigner.ca
 

No comments:

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails