Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Interwoven Close Up with textile designer- Daisy Prowse



 Daisy Prowse
Tell us a little about yourself and what you do.
I recently graduated from a Bachelor of Design in Fashion and Textiles at the University of Technology, Sydney. My final year major project, ‘Futuristic Femme’, was composed of textile designs for fashion and interiors applications. Since December I have been working in a Sydney textile studio, whilst exploring the potential to start my own business based on products using designs from the ‘Futuristic Femme’ collection.

 Daisy Prowse Copyright

Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?
All of the fabulous creative types all over the world who are taking a chance and choosing to do what makes them happy, whether it's a large scale venture or just starting out in their bedroom.

Where do you get your inspiration from when you design/paint?
I’m very inspired by colour, and the multitude of tones and combinations that are possible. There are an infinite number of things that can inspire me on any given day, from sci-fi films to botanical illustrations, geometry to mineral formations.

What are the five words that people who know you would use to describe you?
Vibrant, excitable, funny, quirky, determined.

Tell us about your very first job and what path have you taken since then?
My very first job was at a French patisserie while I was still in high school. Then I finished high school and embarked on the adventure that is university life, funded by casual retail work. I feel very lucky that I was able to get a job in the textile industry soon after finishing my degree.


Fabric Swatches
Daisy Prowse Copyright
Describe a typical day in your studio space?
There is no typical day! I try and fit in time for my own creative pursuits when I’m not at my full time job. It’s a juggling act that I’m still getting used to, so life can sometimes feel like a bit of a circus!

As a Solo Artist, what is your biggest frustration?
Aspects such as financial and business matters that seemingly have no relation to creativity and artistic expression but are very important in the real, ‘grown up’ world. A newly completed textile design is infinitely more beautiful than a tax form!

Tell us about how you prioritise your studio work.
Between working full time and spending time with my lovely family and friends, it can sometimes be hard to squeeze in my own work. But I often have new ideas while I’m ‘in transit’, whether on a train looking out at the world whizzing by, or in the shower.

When did you discover that you can make a living out of your artwork?
This is definitely still a case of just dipping my toe into the water and seeing what happens. Having a full time job allows me to put money towards having my own business. 

Daisy Prowse Copyright
 Can you please tell us about how do you connect with other artists, and your customers (i.e. how do you network)?
At this point, I try and keep in touch with all the gorgeous, talented people who I graduated with, as someone once told me that your university peers are a fabulous network that you’re already a part of. Otherwise, I guess just responding to great opportunities like Interwoven.

What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?
Don’t be afraid to ask for advice or help along the way as it is pleasantly suprising how supportive people can be when you display the same creative passion that they do.

How did you get involve with The Interwoven exhibition and why?
The very lovely Pip sent me an email and I thought it would be a fabulous opportunity to display my graduate collection outside of an academic, university space.

What dreams do you still want to achieve or fulfil in your life?
So many! I want to really, properly, absolutely get my own business off the ground, be creatively fulfilled every day, own a free standing bath tub and a pink Smeg fridge, and always find new ways to make the people I love happy.

What is your proudest moment so far?
Finishing my final year textiles collection. Seeing everything completed and looking better than I’d imagined made all the late nights, caffeine and tears worthwhile.

Who do you most want to meet and why?
Perhaps Bruno Basso and Christopher Brooke, the designers behind Basso & Brooke. I would love to hear their insights on the world of digital fabric printing and how they dream up such incredible pieces.

Daisy Prowse Copyright

What is the most important lesson in life that you have learned?
Keep your eyes and ears open, there’s always something that can cheer you up on a bad day or provide you with a new found source of inspiration. And the greatest gems are often found in the most unexpected places.

What book are you reading right now, and do you have a book you would like to recommend?
I’m currently re-reading Norweigan Wood by Haruki Murakami, in anticipation of the film adaptation being made.
I would definitely recommend Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It’s one of those books that makes me wonder how the author could possibly conceive of a story that is so intricate and compelling.

Where do we find you and your artworks?
My website is still a work in progress but if you would like more information on my work, send me an email at daisy.prowse@hotmail.com

3 comments:

F. Degi said...

These art pictures are great and i have saved them all for my little sister as she is fond of all these stuff, nice work.

Anonymous said...

I love the futuristic design too. They are great as fabric. would work well for quilt to replace the old traditional design with these. Great work Daisy and thanks for sharing Artshine.

Anonymous said...

Great Design, thanks for sharing. I always love coming here to read through the close up. very inspiring and pick up lots of tips and idea.

Thx heaps

Jodie Blair
Artisitic creations

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails