Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Close Up Interview with Designer Lisa Boerma


 Lisa & Jay

Tell us a little about yourself and what you do.
I’m Lisa and I live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.  I studied graphic design. Now I’m a full-time designer and work for a beautiful Dutch label. I work in a studio within a small design team. When I come home I start to craft and make my own things to relax.  

Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?
The energy that I get when I’m creating something new, that is such a good feeling.
You can work for hours and totally forget the time.

Where do you get your inspiration from when you design?
Travel, everyday things, chatting with friends, flea markets, music, blogs...
 
What are the five words that people who know you would use to describe you?
Independent, creative, collector, smart, curious.


Tell us about your very first job and what path have you taken since then?
My first job was playing as an extra in television-series and movies during my schooldays.
Very excited! I did not make that much, but every week was different.

Describe a typical day in your studio space?
In daytime I’m working on new designs, prints or working out design-manuals for the factory.
When I come home, I have dinner, after that I read a book, watch a documentary or create something new.
 
As an Art Director/ Designer, what is your biggest frustration?
Not having enough time! There's only 24 hours in a day.

Can you please tell us about how do you connect with other artists, and your customers?
Online via blogs and crafty-websites. I also visit festivals and designer markets.

What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?
You only live once, go for it! Anything you really want, you can attain if you really go after it.

What dreams do you still want to achieve or fulfil in your life?
Ohhh so many, travel around the world, read a lot of books, riding a bike in the sun,  having a garden full of flowers, having a small summer house in the south of France close to my parents-in-law...

What is your proudest moment so far?
That i’am independent now and free to make my own decisions.

 
Who do you most want to meet and why?
If Frida Kahlo were still alive I would have wanted to meet her.
A strong woman and a flamboyant personality.
I’m a fan of her work ever since I saw her paintings in the MoMa in New York. 
 
What is the most important lesson in life that you have learned?
That you really have to do to it yourself when you want to achieve something.

What book are you reading right now, and do you have a book you would like to recommend?
I read a lot of (interior)magazines and Dutch novels.

Where do we find you and your creative services?
Handmade Papergoods, Jewelry & Special Vintage Finds.
All my items (except vintage finds and supplies)
are handmade with love in my little studio at home.

If you like to read more please visit:


All images copyright
Courtesy of Lisa Boerma


No comments:

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails