Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Close Up with Artist and Producer Brett Ashby



Artist-Brett Ashby
Copyright

Tell us a little about yourself and what you do.
Brett Ashby is currently working as a full-time Artist/Producer in Melbourne, Australia. (Every picture tells a story! (Developing his own original style, which originated when he explored narrative based photography during a residency in London. A unique style embracing the advancements in technology, grounded by traditional art techniques. Traveling abroad has enabled Brett to archive a vast library of original photographs. The digital library allows him to construct portraits, landscapes or any other image he desires. A documentary style, experimental in its creation, narrative based montage, generating vibrant colour, painstakingly sculpted into a narrative.

Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?
Art is my life style, I’m fuelled daily by the things around me, I don’t tend to look for inspiration it simply finds me.

Where do you get your inspiration from when you design?
People and places.
When I design I don’t tend to seek inspiration, I see the final artwork in my mind and I set forward and make it happen. Most of my designs un-fold with a diverse selection of world music, beats and rhythms are a designers best friend.

What are the five words that people who know you would use to describe you?
Passionate, Unique, Cre8ive, Funny and Motivated.

 Brett Ashby Copyright

Tell us about your very first job and what path have you taken since then?
I’d say I began as a graphic designer doing some logo developments, things soon changed as I discovered motion, meaning I could animate the logo’s. This sense of motion created interests in camera work, animation and documenting which is all represented in my latest multi-media creations.

Describe a typical day in your studio space?
I couldn’t describe a standard day cause I’m not a 9-5pm designer. Everyday is unique, arrival time, location, State, music, client or project. Any form of multimedia project I get emailed can be tackled, I develop web-sites, illustrate coffee cups, film music video’s, edit travel show content, interview for the news, hire camera’s, send invoices, animate products or spray paint some canvas’s.
Constant elements: funky music, fresh coffee and fun people.

Brett's Office & Studio
Copyright

As an Artist & Photographer, what is your biggest frustration ?
Long days and a lot of hours. I seem too never turn off, you get surrounded by your projects, art and or creations. A designers holiday/down time, is never the same again, you take a photo or analyse the production quality on Tv and your actually working again :(

Tell us about how you prioritise your studio work.
Everything works on deadlines for me, client work which needs to be produced comes first and then a huge amount of my art adventures wrap around and in between these client jobs.


ArtMelbourne 2010 
Brett Ashby Copyright

Since you are working at home, can you please tell us about how do you connect with other artists, and your customers (i.e. how do you network)?
I work in a creative space working along-side architects, web-developers, designers and illustrators. It’s funky and vibrant daily I like to surround my-self with like minded creatives. Networking is a funny word, not sure if it actually works. It’s more in my mind about talking and venturing out into new circles, become active in gallery openings, visiting other studios, emailing galleries and telling people/friends you’re a designer, from my experience word of mouth is the way forward.

What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?
 If you have driven an old car for 1,000 + km and got out with a lower back that really needs a massage ? well.. pursuing your own creative venture can soon feel like this daily. If you stand strong, dream big the only thing that can happen is these long trips will feel better. My hot tip is, review your product may it be (fashion, art or music). If it’s not better or up to an industry standard, go back to the drawing board. If you personally believe in the product your putting out then it’ll grow wings and others will also enjoy it.
Send out your folio but don’t give up, sending around 60 emails a week for six months and only getting one reply is what happened to me, but this reply sent me to New York.



What dreams do you still want to achieve or fulfil in your life?
1,001 dreams to fulfill, so much to do, so little time. Dreams are only deadlines in my mind I cross them off each day, each task leads to the next, I don’t believe in setting a final dream as sometimes you reach it and it’s not exactly perfect. If you are constantly dreaming and ticking them off, every dream has closure.

What is your proudest moment so far?
Working with great people and making creative content which makes a difference.

Who do you most want to meet and why?
Geez this is too open, at this point in time, I’d love to catchup with Sia and produce her next music video. I’m a fan as her quirky style of music sucks me into my I-pod when I’m walking the streets of Melbourne.

 Surrey Hills Art Show 2010
07 August to 08 August 2010.

What is the most important lesson in life that you have learned?
Treat others how you wish to be treated and older people have the answers.

What book are you reading right now, and do you have a book you would like to recommend?
No books in the pipeline, but I guess I’ve been reading up on CSS and Html so I can develop a future artwork in Japan, an interactive canvas.

Where do we find you and your products? 




Online store opening very soon,
stay tuned :o)

No comments:

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails