Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Close Up with Artist - Anna Zarasyan


Artist- Anna Zarasyan

Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?

Being an artist is a natural way of being for me. Ever since I was a child I knew that my world is ART. That time I didn’t know about the different art forms, so I wanted to be an artist, a singer, an actress, and whatever else at the same time.  The arts for me were the only exciting thing there was, the only thing I was ever interested in. Still is.
Having done many years of training as a musician and an artist, my mind is always flooded with the ideas. What inspires me to do what I love? All things beautiful, such as people, nature, crafts, etc.  I love creating things that generate warm feeling and a sense of hope.  Working with textures in my paintings and interiors is something that is touch inspired.

Conceptually, my art is largely based on realisation that we live in an era of communication media, yet the increasing number of people feels lonely and isolated. We live in the society that has lost the appreciation of value of human touch. Artistically, the concept of human touch could be translated into many things, such as handwritten textormusic manuscript, handmade fabric that heals and protects, or handmade food that nurtures… 

Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?

Ocean is one of the things in nature I feel deeply connected to. It is always different, always meaningful, simple and sophisticated at the same time. Visually it offers endless possibilities for creating new images.

Bizare Red 
Anna Zarasyan Copyright

What are the five words that people who know you would use to describe you?
Coffee, ocean, art, books, jeans
  
Tell us about your very first job and what path have you taken since then?
My very first job was as a choral conductor for children’s choir in Kiev. Since then I’ve worked as a freelance conductor, composer, lecturer at the UNSW (Music Composition and Conducting), lecturer at the University of Sydney (Composition and Compositional Techniques and Analysis), full time artist (and found it really tough), interior designer, Feng Shui consultant…

Describe a typical day in your studio space?
There is no particular routine that I follow. This is because most of the time I work on a number of projects at the same time, so I schedule my work around the priorities and deadlines.

Anna in Her Studio
Anna Zarasyan Copyright

There are periods when I do more painting, and there are periods when I work primarily on design projects. On designing days in the morning I usually reply to e-mails, and do other business chores, such as phone calls, banking, etc. After a coffee break at around 11am I start doing design work.

On painting days, I try to be at the studio as early as I can to catch the morning light. The work at the office is scheduled for after the painting session is done for the day. There is no cut off time for my work, sometimes I work quite late, but I do like taking a break in the afternoon to go for a walk on the beach.

As a Solo Graphic Designer, what is your biggest frustration?
As a solo artist, my biggest frustration comes from having to stretch myself between doing creative work, promoting what I do, and having to make living along the way… I do not mind working hard, but it often feels like I am running in circles… 

 Return of the Sun
Anna Zarasyan Copyright

Since you are working at home, can you please tell us about how do you connect with other artists, and your customers (i.e. how do you network)?
I meet other artists at the exhibition openings, but also have my friends who are professional artists, and whom I have known for years. I regularly attend the design events and trade shows to connect with the designers. 

What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?
Do what you love. Don’t what you don’t.

What dreams do you still want to achieve or fulfil in your life?
I would like to be able to do creative work without worrying about making living. I would like to exhibit (and sell) regularly with one of the good commercial galleries in Sydney or Melbourne.

Pac Aracade
the interior design project -Wall Mural

Anna Zarasyan Copyright

What is your proudest moment so far?
Becoming a recipient of the Women and Arts Fellowship in 1997. This is when the Multicultural Policy was launched by the Ministry of Culture NSW.

Who do you most want to meet and why?
Giorgio Armani. I admire the quality and timeless elegance of his label. 

What is the most important lesson in life that you have learned?
The long term consequences are the most important thing to consider in any decision. 

What book are you reading right now, and do you have a book you would like to recommend?
Eat that Frog by Brian Tracey

  An interior Design Project
 A digital image of the shop design concept
Anna Zarasyan Copyright

Where do we find you and your artwork?
My website is being built, and very soon the images of my work will be available for viewing on the net.  The information in regards to my musical career is currently available on the numerous websites.  To access it, my maiden name is Anna Pimakhova should be entered



No comments:

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails